The moment you start researching about the topic hair loss and how to stop it, “DHT” and “DHT blockers” pop up everywhere. And you wonder, what exactly is DHT and how do DHT blockers work?
To cut the chase, let’s get a quick insight into the basics of DHT to help you understand the ins and outs. This will give you a better idea of what a DHT blocking shampoo really does and in the last section, let’s list down ten reasons why using a DHT-blocking shampoo for your daily haircare routine is a must.
What Really is DHT?
DHT is the shorter term used to refer to Dihydrotestosterone, a male sex hormone formed from testosterone. It is responsible for giving a man his distinctive male features, such as a deep voice, facial hair, body hair, and muscular figure.
With the help of 5α-reductase (pronounced as five-alpha-reductase), an enzyme found in the oil glands of a hair follicle, a testosterone is converted into DHT. The DHT bind to receptors located in the hair follicles, where they accumulate, build up, and prevent the normal blood flow from reaching the hair follicles. This causes the hair follicles to not get the nutrients they need in order to continue growing.
At this point, the hair follicles are said to miniaturize. This basically means to shrink and eventually stop new growth, which results to balding over time. This condition is commonly observed on people genetically prone to male pattern baldness.
Balding is a slow progressive process that usually takes place over several years. Therefore, a person has enough time to take action to stop DHT from working on its negative effects. One of the most effective ways to prevent hair loss is to use a DHT-blocking shampoo.
What is a DHT-Blocking Shampoo?
A DHT-blocking shampoo is a specially formulated haircare product made to help with hair loss. It contains ingredients that are known to block DHT and stop hair loss. DHT blockers work by binding to the 5α-reductase enzyme, effectively preventing your body from producing DHT in the first place.
Common Types of Natural DHT-Blocking Ingredients
When looking for a DHT-blocking shampoo, here are the some of the best natural ingredients you can find:
- Rosemary Oil – this essential oil usually comes from the leaves of rosemary plant. It is a natural hair loss-fighting extract also known to boost blood circulation for increased hair growth.
- Saw Palmetto – this extract may come in powder or liquid form. It is added as an active ingredient to hair products or dietary supplements meant for hair loss prevention. It is also known to promote prostate health among men.
- Pygeum Bark – extract taken from the bark of the African plum tree known for its anti-hair loss benefits.
- Pumpkin Seed Oil – a natural oil used as treatment for hair loss and is also found to help with prostate enlargement.
- Green Tea – may prevent hair loss by inhibiting the buildup of DHT while stimulating the hair follicles to grow new hair.
- Stinging Nettle – a natural remedy for hair loss applied topically or taken internally. It is usually added to hair loss supplements like the Shiny Leaf enHAIRgy, which contains potent natural DHT blockers.
Other Great Ingredients Found in DHT Blocker Shampoos
If you are the type of consumer who normally check on product labels, you can also find other great ingredients together with DHT blockers in your shampoo. These ingredients offer added benefits that when combined with DHT blockers, make the shampoo even more powerful in treating hair loss. Common ones you can find are:
- Biotin – a hair vitamin known as vitamin B7, which helps boost hair growth, improve strength and elasticity.
- Castor Oil – a thick natural oil rich in fatty acids essential for hair growth. It also gives hair added shine and smoothness.
- Vitamin E – an antioxidant that helps repair damaged strands. It provides the hair protection from further damage.
- Ketoconazole – although ketoconazole is normally used to treat antifungal infections, it has also shown potential to disrupt the pathways by which DHT attach to the hair follicles.
- Proteins – they could come in different forms such as keratin, wheat protein, oat protein, or silk protein. They all provide hair strands building blocks that keep them strong and healthy.
- Oils and Extracts –plant oils and extracts make hair soft and silky. Some of these are shea butter, avocado oil, flower extracts, argan oil, and tea tree oil. These ingredients provide extra moisture to prevent dryness.
Why Use DHT-Blocking Shampoos Daily
Now that you have a clearer picture of what a DHT blocker shampoo can do for your hair, you’re probably thinking about starting to use it. In preventing hair loss, remember that the earlier you take action, the more chances of keeping your hair. Here are 10 reasons why you should consider using DHT-blocking shampoo for your everyday haircare routine.
1. Prevent hair loss and total baldness
DHT is the main cause of natural hair loss that could lead to total baldness. Using a shampoo infused with DHT-blocking ingredients is a convenient way to get their anti-hair loss benefits.
2. Increase hair growth
Most DHT-blocking shampoos also contain ingredients that enhance hair growth. This type of synergy is effective because as you avoid losing hair, you also boost hair to grow quicker. The result is thicker, fuller hair.
3. Cleanse hair and scalp thoroughly
A DHT blocker shampoo cleanses hair and scalp as all shampoos do. It thoroughly removes dead skin cells, dirt, and product buildup. Your hair looks fresh and smells great throughout the day!
4. Grow thicker stronger hair strands
Because DHT blockers stop DHT from making hair follicles shrink, hair continues to grow thicker with everyday use of DHT blocker shampoos. Strands also become stronger with help of other nourishing ingredients found in the shampoo.
5. Nourishing hair and scalp-care
Lack of hair nourishment results to dull hair and flaky scalp. With the vitamins and plant extracts found on DHT blocker shampoos, you get the daily dose of nourishment to keep your hair and scalp healthy and hydrated.
6. Remedy for hair shedding
Hair falling out is normal but too much of it could be bad. This can be an early sign that DHT is beginning to do its work on your hair follicles. A DHT blocker shampoo will help prevent this and stop hair from frequent shedding.
7. Regular damage repair treatment
If your hair is prone to damage due to chemical treatments and hair styling tools, using a DHT blocker shampoo also helps. It has ingredients such as vitamin E and proteins that help rebuild the strands to maintain healthier hair.
8. Protect the hair follicles from damage
Perming, bleaching, and other chemical-based hair treatments can damage the hair follicles and even cause thinning hair. DHT-blocking shampoos contain nourishing ingredients help keep the hair follicles in good shape. DHT blockers also help prevent it from shrinking, so hair continues to grow.
9. Boost your confidence
Your hair is the crown that you never take off. Therefore, keeping it thick and luscious is important because it gives you the confidence about yourself. It’s true: beautiful hair makes you look good and feel great.
10. Keep your hair healthy
Whatever the situation is, healthy hair follicles are the roots of heathy hair. (No pun intended!) With everyday use of DHT-blocking shampoos, your hair reaps all these benefits that make it stay healthy year after year.
Finding the Right DHT-Blocking Shampoo
Are you ready to start using a DHT-blocking shampoo? If your answer is yes, the next step is finding the right one for you. But choosing a DHT blocker shampoo could be a challenge with so many brand names available in the market. But don’t be worry. We have a few helpful reminders for you! Whether you are picking a shampoo online or at the supermarket, consider these tips:
- Harmful chemicals like sulfates can cause dryness and stiffness of the hair. Prolonged use may lead to damage. Try sulfate-free shampoos like the Shiny Leaf DHT Blocker Shampoo.
- If you have curly or permed hair, silicone-free products are recommended. Shampoos with silicone can weigh down and make curly hair less bouncy.
- Parabens are synthetic preservatives known to damage marine life. By picking paraben-free products, you can help protect the environment and oceans.
- Care for the animals with cruelty-free products. They are usually marked with the bunny icon that says ‘Not Tested on Animals’.