Make your eyes pop with long and thick lashes that frame them well. Skip the eyeliner and the eyeshadow – all you need are lush-looking eyelashes. Get the eyelashes of your dreams by understanding how they grow. Here are tips from the best hair care guide to get bold and beautiful eyelashes.
Eyelashes do not only frame the eyes. They have functions that protect eyes from damage. Find out how to keep eyelashes healthy and strong. Learn about the products that you can use for eyelashes, their uses, and benefits. There are ways to promote healthy growth of eyelashes too and you’ll find them here.
Understanding How Eyelashes Grow
Eyelashes are the hair growing from the edge of eyelids. They can have a different color compared to hair, but dark-haired people typically have dark-colored eyelashes and the opposite for those who have light-colored hair. Eyelashes develop during pregnancy, so even newborns have noticeable growth of eyelashes.
Strands of eyelashes are not permanent. They enter a regular cycle of growing and falling out. Your lashes grow for three months before they fall out. This ensures that healthy new lashes always grow. It takes seven to eight weeks before lashes grow back. Since it takes more than a month to grow lashes, when you experience falling lashes, you’ll notice that it makes your lashes look thinner. The common length for eyelashes is one-third of the size of the eyes. This is the ideal length as well to protect eyes from airflow and debris.
Importance of Healthy Eyelashes
Having healthy lashes make your eyes pop out, which is an attractive feature for men and women. Your eyelashes are not only accessories that make your eyes look good. To protect your eyes from dirt and foreign objects, thick and full lashes are important. They also work like, which are highly sensitive to contact. When foreign objects or insects get close to eyes, eyelashes sense these objects and trigger your reflex to close your eyes.
Experts also say that the length of your eyelashes is one-third of the size of your eyes. This helps minimize the flow of air that comes in contact with eyes. This also helps protect eyes from dirt and other small foreign objects. When eyes are exposed to air movement, it tends to cause evaporation of moisture, which will dry the eyes. This irritates the eyes and may cause redness.
Thicker eyelashes block more airflow and dust. However, it can block light as well. The curl of the eyes does not affect the airflow that comes in contact with eyes, but it can open up eyes to more light. Longer eyelashes do not protect eyes better. In fact, eyelashes longer than the ideal length can increase airflow and contact with dirt.
Healthy eyelashes frame the eyes well while making sure that they are safe from damage. Having long and thick eyelashes does not necessarily mean that they are healthy. Thick eyelashes should be spaced out evenly and should be resilient against damage.
Cause of Thinning Eyelashes
Thinning eyelashes are very common. It can happen to men and women of all ages. There are underlying causes to thinning eyelashes. Some of them could be due to infections, diseases, medications, and even due to habits. Here are some reasons why you might have thinning eyelashes:
- Intentional pulling of hair can cause thinning hair. Removing eyelashes frequently may damage the follicles and cause for hair not to grow back.
- Deficiency in vitamins and nutrients that are necessary for hair growth might develop eyelashes to become brittle and breakable.
- Disorders such as alopecia cause hair loss. This includes hair all over the body including eyelashes.
- Chemotherapy is a form of treatment or medication that affects hair follicles, making hair fall out. Eyelashes might grow when chemotherapy is done.
- Common infections and irritation can cause loss of eyelashes too. Using mascara that can cause clumps is another reason that eyelashes get thin.
- Allergic reactions to products used or applied to eyelashes can make lashes thinner and lose volume.
- Trauma or scarring on eyelids can cause loss of eyelashes.
Hair loss or thinning hair is an issue that can happen even when you’re young. Visit the page to learn more about hair loss, how it happens, and how to restore healthy lashes and hair!
Eyelashes in Cosmetics
Thicker and fuller lashes are something women get envious about. You can enhance your eyelashes using natural means or by altering them artificially. Other than trimming your eyelashes, using liners, and eye putty, there are other tools you can use for eyelashes. Curl them, define them, or give them a new shape – eyelashes can be groomed using these products.
Do at Home
You can use these products at home without professional help. Just make sure to follow instructions to apply or use them properly.
- Fake Eyelashes – Fake eyelashes are easy to use. These artificial lashes are made of various materials including synthetic, silk, and mink. Synthetic materials are more durable while eyelashes made from mink last longer. You can use fake lashes more than once. However, if you’re going to reuse it, do not wear mascara. Remember to clean it well to prevent accumulation of dirt and bacteria. Instead of mascara, you can use oils like Argan oil to give fake lashes a thicker appearance. It moisturizes lashes to make it soft and look natural.
Argan oil gives you natural-looking thick eyelashes. Read on to find out the various benefits in using it for fake or natural eyelashes.
- Mascara – Mascara makes eyelashes look naturally thicker and fuller. This product is made of dark pigments, preservatives, and thickeners. Mascaras help thicken the look of eyelashes. It holds the curve of lashes as well.
- Eyelash Curler – Eyelashes have natural curves. The curve of the lashes can enhance the appeal of the eyes. According to standards of beauty over the years, upward curve of lashes is more attractive. This is why eyelash curlers are common accessories used in eyelash cosmetics. It helps spread out eyelashes evenly to make it look fuller as well. Various types of curlers are available in the market including heated curlers.
Go to a Professional
Professional skills are required in using or applying these products. Visit a salon or an expert to use these eyelash products and accessories.
- Eyelash Perming – Perming eyelashes help give it a permanent curve where you don’t need to use curlers. It uses a cream or a perming solution that reshapes hair to improve its curve. Some also add a kink to the tips of eyelashes to make it fuller.
- Magnetic Eyelashes – If you want non-sticky and mess-free longer lashes, try magnetic eyelashes. This type of product comes with two layers placed below and on top of lashes. Magnets stick these two layers together, creating a fuller and thicker volume of eyelashes.
- Eyelash Extensions – Eyelash extensions work just like normal hair extensions. They are durable and they stick to eyelids longer than other types of eyelash accessories. Eyelash extensions are applied to the edge of eyelids using an adhesive. They can last for a whole life cycle, which is 6 to 8 weeks. However, it is also important to do some maintenance on extensions at least once a week.
- Eyelash Transplants – Eyelash transplants are permanent solutions to loss of eyelashes. Strands of hair used for the transplant come from the scalp. They continue to grow even when transplanted on eyelids. Trimming them once a week helps maintain the ideal length and curve of eyelashes. The amount of hair transplanted to eyelids can range from 25 to 50 depending on the preference of the user.
Products to Grow Healthy Eyelashes
Growing healthy and thick lashes is easy. You just need the right product that can stimulate hair growth. These products may have nutrients that are necessary for hair growth. Restore the thick and lush eyelashes using these products that are safe and effective to use.
Eyelash Primer Growth Serums
Serums are fast-absorbing liquids that have very light consistencies. Their formulas contain essential fatty acids and other active ingredients that stimulate the growth of hair. Eyelashes grow healthier and stronger when serums provide nourishment and protection. Biotin, protein, vitamins, and other substances are good for preventing brittleness of eyelashes.
Essential oils that provide vitamin E and protein to eyelashes help prevent thinning volume. Oils such as castor oil are good for curbing thinning lashes. They have therapeutic effects that soothe the eyelids and stimulate the follicles. Castor oil, for example, contains high amount of ricinoleic acid, which have anti-inflammatory properties that inhibit falling eyelashes. The omega fatty acids found in castor oil provide moisture that keeps hair resilient against damage.
See more benefits of castor oil for eyelashes. Learn how to use it properly to get the lashes that you deserve.
Blends of oil and other organic ingredients such as natural butters are good for eyelashes. These homemade blends give eyelashes a thick and shiny appearance. They also nourish the strands to prevent weakening strands. Most homemade blends provide moisture which helps keep the thick volume of eyelashes.
Tips on Taking Care of Eyelashes
Maintain the thick and lush look of your eyelashes by taking good care of it. Ditch mascaras to get naturally long and thick eyelashes. Other than conscious efforts of picking the right product, here are other tips that you can try:
- Avoid Drying Mascaras – There are drying mascaras that will not only cause clumping of hair. They also corrode the cuticle that protects hair shaft from damage. This lets the moisture from eyelashes strands to escape. Brittleness is a common cause of thinning hair. Look for mascaras that made from high-quality ingredients. Get hydrating mascaras that give lashes added volume and length. You can also just use essential oils to thicken hair naturally.
- Remove Eye Makeup – Remove eye makeup before sleeping to prevent damage to hair. Makeup can damage eyelashes especially those that contain chemicals. Eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliners, and eye putty, are artificial products that can damage hair if not removed properly.
- Cleanse Face and Eyes Gently – When you cleanse face or your eyes, in particular, make sure to treat the skin gently. Rubbing your eyes roughly can pull out lashes. Treating eyelashes gently help protect them from thinning and other damage.
A set of long eyelashes make you stand out. For more tips on growing healthy eyelashes, visit this blog:
Get long and thick eyelashes that do not break easily. If you don’t have the money and the time to always prep your lashes with mascara and curlers, achieve the eyelashes of your dreams with essential oils and serums. With these tips and information, you can keep eyelashes looking lustrous. Frame your eyes for a popping and attractive look!