Want to know how you can look fresh and radiant early in the morning? Lose those dark bags under your eyes! They make your face look dull, tired, and aged. However, we all know it sounds easier than done. You can’t just make dark circles and crow’s feet disappear. But don’t worry, here are face care tips you can do to reduce and prevent dark circles and wrinkles around the eye area.
The skin under your eyes is thinner and more prone to skin damage. Dark circles, puffy eyes, and crow’s feet are some skin care issues you can experience. They can be due to various reasons such as lifestyle choices, habit, and diet. It’s not easy to get rid of these skin care issues around the eye area, especially wrinkles that become more prominent as you age. As your skin loses volume, they can form wrinkles that can deepen. Thankfully, there are some easy tips you can do to avoid crow’s feet or dark circles. Keep your skin radiant and youthful with these tips.
Types of Skin Care Issues Around the Eye Area
The thin skin around the eye area is prone to damage and aging. Signs such as wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin become more noticeable as you age. Here are some of the most common skin care issues around the eye area, how they happen, and the best ways to prevent them.
Dark circles are signs that you didn’t have enough sleep. But did you know that you can have dark circles even if you’ve had a good sleep? Dehydration can give your skin a tired and dull appearance. It can worsen dark circles too. Drinking 8 or more glasses of water makes your skin look brighter and more radiant. It helps skin stay plump and smooth too.
Sagging skin is more prominent around the eye area. You are more likely to experience it in the form of eye bags. These bags tend to look like loose skin under your eyes. Aging can affect the firmness and elasticity of skin. Collagen is the main component that helps keep skin stay supple and firm. As you age, your skin loses its ability to produce collagen, thus affecting skin volume. This leads to loose or sagging skin. Not having enough sleep or water can affect the firmness of skin around the eye area too.
Have you ever woken up only to see your eyes looking puffy and swollen? It’s perfectly normal! The most common culprit is salt. Consumption of salty snacks or food before you sleep can lead to puffy or bloated-looking face. Salt makes your body retain more water, which is more evident when you wake up. Avoid eating salty food before you sleep and make sure you remove your makeup. Leaving makeup around the eye area can cause irritation that may lead to swollen eyes or dark circles.
Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Fine lines, wrinkles, or more commonly known as crow’s feet are prominent among the elderly. However, they can form as early as your 20s. Having crow’s feet or laugh lines may be a sign of graceful aging. However, they can make you appear older than your actual age. The formation of wrinkles and fine lines also happen due to loss of collagen.
There are many reasons for the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Rubbing the skin around the eye area often can speed up skin aging. You should avoid leaving makeup on face as well since they can irritate skin and cause damage. Using serums that can restore the plump and smooth texture of skin can reduce the appearance of fine lines too. Hyaluronic Acid Serum is a great product that stimulates collagen production around the eye area so it stays plump and wrinkle-free. See more of its benefits below.
Common Habits that Can Cause Eye Area Problems
You don’t know it but some of your habits can be the cause of eye area issues such as dark circles and fine lines. It’s best to avoid these habits to prevent signs of skin aging from forming. Below are some habits you should break to prevent skin care problems around the eye area.
Rubbing Your Eyes
The simple motion of rubbing or tugging the skin around the eye area can promote skin aging. The skin around the eyes is very thin and prone to damage. It might feel good to rub your eyes when tired or sleepy, but they do more harm in the long run. Rubbing or tugging the skin around the eye area can make them form wrinkles.
You might want to watch this habit when cleansing face or removing eye makeup too. Be gentle when touching the area around your eyes to prevent the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
If you don’t like applying sunscreen on face, it’s time you do so. Skipping sunscreen can speed up skin aging. Sunscreen protects skin from damage caused by UV radiation. Sun exposure is one of the primary causes for loss of collagen and elastin on skin. This leads to thin and sagging skin around the eye area. It is important to apply sunscreen that contains active ingredients.
They help fight free radicals as well, which can prevent skin aging. When you put on sunscreen, make sure you apply a good amount around the eye area. This helps prevent wrinkles, fine lines, and dark circles. You can wear sunglasses when you’re outdoors too.
Smoking affects your skin in a lot of ways. The smoke from cigarette can reduce or displace oxygen in skin, making it appear more wrinkly and thin. Cigarette also contains nicotine, which slows down blood flow. This makes skin appear dull, dry, or discolored. Smoking can affect your whole face, especially the area around the eyes.
Low oxygen circulation around the eye area gives it the dark or bluish color linked to dark circles. Skin appears dull and sallow as well. Smoking can deplete vitamins from your body. These vitamins are essential for the ability of skin to repair itself.
Eating Salty or Sugary Food
Salty food can make your eyes appear more puffy or swollen. They can make your body retain more water, giving your face a bloated appearance. Sugar, on the other hand, does not only cause inflammation but the breakdown of collagen and elastin as well. As you know, collagen and elastin are the components that keep skin supple and soft.
The loss of collagen and elastin can lead to appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Skin loses its volume as well, leading to sagging. Cut back on salty food and sugar so your skin can stay young and supple. This might even prevent acne and pimples too.
Learning how to manage stress can help your mental and emotional health. They can keep your skin healthy too! Stress can stimulate cortisol, the stress hormone that can cause the loss of collagen and elastin. Balanced cortisol can help prevent inflammation. However, high levels of cortisol can increase blood sugar, which damages collagen and elastin on skin.
A process called glycation happens due to high levels of blood sugar. This is when sugar binds to proteins like collagen, making them more brittle. This breaks down collagen and elastin, which can speed up skin aging especially around the eye area. The thin skin around the eye area is more prone to loss of collagen. You can try using personal diffusers. They do not only help you relax instantly, they can also keep your skin moisturized. Check out this blog to see more benefits of using personal diffusers.
Eye Care Products You Should Get
Keep skin around your eyes firm, smooth, and supple. There are products that can help prevent signs of skin aging such as fine lines and crow’s feet. These products may come in a form of gel or serum. Below are some eye care products you should buy and their benefits:
- Eye Cream – Eye creams are often applied at night to help repair skin damage. They contain moisturizing and nourishing ingredients that help restore the firm and smooth texture of skin. Eye creams can give the skin around the eye area a smoother and more radiant appearance.
- Eye Mask – Eye mask can help prevent puffiness as it cools down your skin. They may come as patch gels that you put under the eye area. They prevent swelling and dryness, which can keep the skin smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Eye Depuffing Gel – If you often wake up with puffy eyes, a quick remedy is an eye depuffing gel. It may or may not have a cooling effect that can help reduce puffiness. Eye depuffing gels help improve blood circulation on skin to reduce the puffiness.
- Eye Roller – Eye rollers may come as tools or products. You use them under the eye area to stimulate blood circulation, which helps firm the skin and improve the skin tone. Using eye rollers can help prevent sagging as they improve collagen production as well. You can get just the tools or roll-on products.
- Eye Balm – Eye balms are often applied in the morning to help soothe skin. They may reduce puffiness or appearance of wrinkles around the eye. Balms can also hydrate skin to keep the eye area supple and smooth.
- Eye Treatment – Eye treatments contain active ingredients that help restore volume and firmness of skin around the eye area. Applying eye treatments may help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They may come in various forms such as creams, gels, and serums.
- Eye Serum – Serums have fast-acting formulas that seep through the deeper layers of skin fast. You can apply serums at night or in the morning. Serums deliver active ingredients that can help stimulate blood flow or collagen production. Learn more about serums and the best one for your skin type at the page below.
Stress-Free Tips for Eye Care
Having crow’s feet can ruin your appearance as they show signs of skin aging. There’s no need to stress about wrinkles. Here are some easy tips that can help keep signs of skin aging at bay. Try these stress-free tips for younger-looking skin:
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps maintain the plump and soft texture of your skin. They keep your skin looking radiant as well.
- Get plenty of sleep. Not sleeping enough does not only lead to dark circles. They can speed up skin aging too, which leads to the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. Always have a good sleep so your skin has ample time to repair itself. This gives you fresh and younger-looking skin when you wake up.
- Always remove makeup before bed. Cosmetics can irritate your skin and suffocate it especially the area around your eyes. Remove makeup before you sleep so your skin can rest and breathe. Leaving makeup on skin can clog the pores as well, which might lead to acne and pimples.
- Invest in eye care products. Eye care products help improve blood circulation and collagen production. These products protect skin from damage and aging. Most eye care products reduce puffiness, dark circles, and appearance of wrinkles. They help maintain the plump and smooth texture of skin too.
- Cut back on salty food and sugar. As discussed above, too much salty food and sugar can affect skin negatively. It’s best to cut back on food high in salt or sugar. This can help prevent acne breakouts too.
- Make it a habit to massage the area around your eyes. Massaging skin can improve blood flow, making skin plumper and more radiant. You can do this every night or morning. You can even use some cucumber slices to cool the skin around your eyes. This helps reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- Relax. Stress management does a lot more than balance mental and emotional health. It can help your skin stay young and plump too. Managing your stress can help control stress hormones such as cortisol, which prevents loss of collagen and elastin. This helps your skin stay soft and supple.
Dark circles and wrinkles will make you frown. However, you don’t need to stress about them. Try these easy tips that can help your skin stay supple, smooth, and radiant. Build the right eye care routine and get the best products for your skin. These are essential to keep skin aging at bay and keep a younger-looking appearance. Check out these face care products that can restore the soft and smooth texture of your skin!