Castor Oil for Hair
Don’t let crazy hair situations ruin your happy moments. Get your locks back on track with castor oil whenever you need it. It helps manage unruly hair as it strengthens and moisturizes it for lustrous shine.
This essential oil has natural properties that aid hair growth. This makes it suitable not only for the hair on top of your head but for your eyebrows and eyelashes too!
This part is your guide for a stunning hair transformation. Here, you will know about the different benefits of castor oil for the hair. You will learn why it works and how to use it for a specific purpose.
Before doing any of the methods mentioned in this section, you are encouraged to run a patch test first. Check out Precautions and Side Effects section for further instructions on how to properly perform patch testing.
Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair
Incorporating castor oil to your regular haircare routine is beneficial in so many ways. It’s not only good for the hair on your head but also for your eyelashes and eyebrows too. It strengthens hair strands and stimulates the hair follicles for better hair growth. The result is thicker fuller hair that looks fabulous on you!
Here are the incredible benefits of castor oil for hair with detailed guides on how you can effectively use it to see results fast.
Grows Fuller and Longer Eyelashes
Castor oil contains a pack of nutrients to stimulate growth of eyelashes. It leaves you with stronger and thicker lashes that won’t break easily. With constant use, this oil gives you alluring set of eyelashes that frames your eyes perfectly.
Why It Works
Eyelashes are not just there to make you look cute. These delicate hairs have a serious purpose of protecting your eyes from dirt and keeping them moist. Castor oil is rich in nutrients, which makes it effective in growing good set of eyelashes. It contains vitamin E, fatty acids, minerals and proteins.
The oil works by moisturizing and hydrating dry, brittle and tired lashes. The nourishment they get allows them to grow in full length. This makes it easier for new lashes to come through quickly.
The best time to apply castor oil on eyelashes is at night before bedtime. While it is perfectly fine to use it during the day, applying it at night has a huge advantage. This allows plenty of time for the oil to absorb into the lashes for maximum effects.
How to Use It
Get long beautiful lashes in easy steps!
- Start by cleansing your face and removing any traces of makeup, especially from the eyes. Use a gentle facial cleanser or makeup remover.
- Take an applicator brush (others call it mascara wand or eyelash brush) and dip it into the castor oil. In the absence of a brush, using a cotton swab is a great alternative. Be careful not to take too much oil to avoid dripping. Otherwise, tap-off the extra drops for conservative purposes. This also keeps oil from smudging over your face.
- Apply the oil carefully on your lashes using the brush as if putting on mascara. Run the brush from base to tip of eyelashes. Start from the inner edge of the eye near the nose, then work your way to the outer corner of your eyes. It is important that the oil reach the roots of eyelashes. In case of oil mess under the eye area, clean it using a cotton ball or cotton swab.
- Leave it on for the entire night.
- In the morning, you can remove castor oil from your eyelashes by using makeup remover or water with cleanser.
Due to thickness, you can try mixing castor oil with coconut oil to enhance its benefits. Another alternative is by adding 2 drops of egg white and glycerin. All of these promote hair growth due to protein-rich property.
Refrain from rubbing or pulling your lashes to avoid losing them. Keep the oil away from contact with eyes to avoid extreme irritations. Wash your eyes with water immediately just in case.
Getting those gorgeous eyelashes does not happen overnight. It is important to give the oil enough time to enhance the condition of your lashes. It may take several weeks to see results. Therefore, giving your lashes regular dose of nutrition found in castor oil is good. Repeat the process every night until desired results are visible!
Grows Thicker Eyebrows
With ability to grow hair naturally, castor oil makes a great choice for growing and regrowing eyebrows. Say “goodbye” to brow pencils and powders. Say “hello” to natural trend-setting eyebrows that make you stand out.
Why It Works
When it comes to thickening hair, castor oil works in two ways. One, it prevents hair loss by making each strand strong. Two, it aids growth of new hair. It contains essential fatty acids, proteins and vitamin E that serve these functions.
The proteins help build, strengthen and repair hair. Vitamin E repair damage in hair follicles while fatty acids help stimulate blood circulation. Both of these encourage hair growth.
The longer the castor oil stays in your eyebrows, the better. Most users prefer to apply it at night before going to bed. This allows enough time for the oil to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft up to the roots.
Thicker eyebrows create a bold beauty statement today. This massive trend gives the contours of your eyes the extra definition. Aside from that, thicker eyebrows look fierce and sexy.
How to Use It
Do you want big bold celebrity brows, a la Cara Delevigne? Using castor oil is your way to go.
- Start with a clean face. Wash it with warm water and a gentle cleanser suitable for your skin type. Make sure to include your eyebrow area. Then gently dry it using a towel.
- Take a cotton swab or eyeliner brush and dip it into the castor oil. Dip it slowly. Be careful to avoid wasting oil from dripping due to excess. Make sure to tap-off extra drops back into the bottle if necessary.
- Apply it directly on the eyebrows. Go into the direction of the hair to avoid further uprooting of some eyebrow strands. If messy situations occur, use the dry end of the cotton swab to clean excess oil. Massage a bit of glycerin into each eyebrow if desired to boost its benefit.
- Let it sit overnight to allow absorption. Wash the face with warm water in the next morning.
Do this regularly to achieve wanted results.
Similar to growing longer eyelashes, thickening your eyebrows takes time and patience too. It may take several weeks before you start seeing results. Therefore, you have to commit and put a bit of effort by sticking to a daily routine.
Gets Rid of Dandruff, Itchy Scalp and Flakes
Nothing compares to beautiful hair matched with a healthy scalp. Castor oil helps relieve dandruff, itchy scalp and flakes for overall scalp wellness. Having a clean scalp gives you a refreshing boost of confidence.
Why It Works
The scalp being too dry and therefore becoming flaky and itchy often causes dandruff. Helping the scalp to produce more moisture is a smart way to ease the condition. Castor oil has excellent moisturizing property due to high amounts of fatty acids in its composition. Therefore, it helps relieve dry scalp while keeping it clean and balanced.
The ricinoleic acid found in castor oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It helps eliminate dandruff-causing bacteria in the scalp. Continued use prevents further development of scalp infections.
Dandruff is often associated with itchiness, redness and irritation of the scalp. Castor oil contains vitamin E that helps soothe these discomforts.
How to Use It
Do this quick and simple scalp treatment once or twice a week. It may take several weeks before you see any results. As an extra tip, wrap a spare towel over your shoulder to avoid oil stains on your clothes. You may wear an old shirt underneath for some added caution.
- Apply castor oil directly on the scalp. You may blend it with lighter oils to dilute if desired. To do so, combine 2 parts castor oil and 1 part of essential oil of your choice in a small jar with tight cover. Jojoba oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and olive oil are the most common options that most users like. This lessens the oil’s thickness and makes it easier to apply while enhancing its benefits. If possible, you may consider putting it on a small bottle with a dropper. The dropper will help you make application of the oil on your scalp easier.
- Next, warm the oil. Pour some hot water on a large bowl. Put the jar or bottle of castor oil in it and leave it for 2 to 4 minutes. Make sure that no water enters the jar.
- Once the oil is warm, pour it into a shallow container. This facilitates dipping of your fingers when using the oil. If you have the dropper, use it instead. It is easier to use on scalp.
- Apply the oil and massage your scalp with it for about 5 minutes. Leave it for 20 minutes before hair wash. This is enough time to let the nourishment sit in.
- Later, wash it with slightly warm water to help remove the oil from scalp more easily. Others prefer to leave it overnight and wash it in the morning for best results.
Grows Naturally Long and Strong Hair
Nutrient-packed castor oil promotes hair growth while keeping it strong and silky. It improves hair from roots to tips while allowing more strands to develop. Using this oil may aid growing thicker hair fast!
Why It Works
Castor oil carries ricinoleic acid and other fatty acids, which stimulates blood circulation to the scalp. This triggers hair to grow faster. It works by nourishing the scalp and enriching the roots with essential nutrients. This includes vitamin E and protein, which help build and repair hair.
Our hair is made up of protein. Therefore, providing hair with more protein from castor oil refuels it. This keeps it stronger and more resilient to breakage. Vitamin E on the other hand, repairs damaged hair follicles. This prevents hair loss due to hair fall.
Giving your hair with these essential nutrients give hair structure. Ricinoleic acid also helps balance scalp pH to replenish scalp’s natural oils. This allows castor oil keep hair healthy as it grows longer and stronger, day after day.
How to Use It
Do this natural hair and scalp treatment 1 to 2 times a week to get that long lush hair you have always wanted!
- Mix castor oil with another lighter oil to dilute texture and enhance its benefits. The most common recipe people love using has the following ingredients: 3 tablespoons castor oil, 1-tablespoon jojoba oil or argan oil, and 1-tablespoon coconut oil. Combine all ingredients in a small jar with tight cover. Better if you have a dropper bottle for easier application later. Shake it well until fully blended.
- Warm the oil over some hot water on a large bowl. Put the jar of castor oil in it and leave it for 2 to 4 minutes. Make sure no water enters the jar.
- Cover your shoulders with a towel to protect clothes from oil spills. It is even smarter to wear some old clothes underneath.
- The oil works better on damp – but not wet – hair. To do this, use a spray bottle to spritz some water on the roots.
- Apply the oil to scalp using your finger or the dropper if available. Massage scalp for 5 minutes to stimulate blood circulation. Make sure to coat entire scalp evenly.
- Apply the oil to the rest of the hair. Put some oil into your palms and rub them together to spread.
- Run through your hair from roots to tips to distribute oil using your palm.
- When done, cover your head with a shower cap or towel to avoid getting the oil on furniture or pillow.
- If possible, leave the treatment overnight. This will give oil plenty of time to absorb and hydrate your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Rinse your hair in the morning. When overnight treatment is not cool, some users prefer to wash the oil just after 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- To help remove the oil from the scalp easier, wash with slightly warm water. Massage a regular conditioner into the scalp to help remove the castor oil.
- Then, shampoo as usual for your final rinse.
Conditions and Moisturizes Hair
The ultra-moisturizing ability of castor oil helps relieve dry frizzy hair from roots to tips. It may tame even the unruliest split ends. Flaunting super smooth hair could give you not only more attractive look, but also undeniable self-confidence.
Why It Works
Castor oil has high moisture content that seeps into the hair strands fast. It penetrates deep into the scalp. This helps smooth rough hair cuticles while regaining lost shine and texture.
It conditions hair by leaving a coating on every hair shaft to lock in moisture. Using this oil transforms hair to make it more beautiful and manageable. The hair stays soft, smooth with a stunning shine. It contains the basic nutrients for hair such as vitamin E, fatty acids and protein to keep hair always healthy.
How to Use It
If you want a deeply moisturized hair, the techniques to Grow Naturally Long and Strong Hair in the previous section already does the trick. If you want to use castor oil as an anti-frizz serum or a leave-in conditioner for instant shine, here are the nice simple steps.
For Anti-Frizz Serum
To use it as an anti-frizz serum, start by mixing castor oil with other lighter oil. Olive oil or coconut oil is great option to lessen castor oil’s sticky and thick nature. This makes application easier and boosts its benefits. Olive oil is good for taming down frizzy hair and helps manage split ends.
Apply to hair thoroughly and leave on for half an hour.
Later, wash well with shampoo to remove excess oil. Doing it regularly may result to naturally sleek and shiny hair.
For variation, you can try adding essential oils best for hair such as argan oil, rosemary oil and jojoba oil.
For Leave-In Conditioner
To use as a leave-in conditioner, add a few drops of castor oil to your regular leave-in conditioner. Apply evenly throughout hair. This gives your hair its regular dose of nourishment that comes with castor oil.