Make your eyes pop with long and thick lashes that frame them well. Skip the eyeliner and the eyeshadow – all you need are lush-looking eyelashes. Get the eyelashes of your dreams by understanding how they grow. Here are tips from the best hair care guide to get bold and beautiful eyelashes.
Eyelashes do not only frame the eyes. They have functions that protect eyes from damage. Find out how to keep eyelashes healthy and strong. Learn about the products that you can use for eyelashes, their uses, and benefits. There are ways to promote healthy growth of eyelashes too and you’ll find them here.
Understanding How Eyelashes Grow
Eyelashes are the hair growing from the edge of eyelids. They can have a different color compared to the hair that grows on your scalp. Eyelashes develop during pregnancy, so newborns already have noticeable growth of eyelashes. The common length for eyelashes is one-third of the size of the eyes. This is the ideal length as well to protect eyes from airflow and debris.
Your eyelashes are not permanent. They may fall and break, which can cause the thin volume. Just like hair that grows on your scalp, they have a growth cycle where they grow and fall out. This ensures that healthy new lashes always grow. It takes seven to eight weeks before lashes grow back. Eyelashes may look thin and short due to stunted hair growth or to falling eyelashes.
Importance of Healthy Eyelashes
Having healthy lashes make your eyes pop out, which is an attractive feature for men and women. Your eyelashes have other uses other than framing your eyes. Thick and bold eyelashes protect your eyes from dirt and foreign objects. When foreign objects or insects get close to eyes, eyelashes sense these objects and trigger your reflexes to close your eyes.
Experts also say that the length of your eyelashes is one-third of the size of your eyes. This helps minimize the flow of air that comes in contact with eyes. The curve of your eyelashes helps protect eyes from dirt and other small foreign objects. When eyes are exposed to air movement, it tends to cause evaporation of moisture, which will dry the eyes. This causes irritation and redness.
Thicker eyelashes block more airflow and dust. However, it can block light as well. The curve of your eyelashes opens up your eyes to more light. There are no benefits of having very long eyelashes. In fact, eyelashes longer than the ideal length can increase airflow and contact with dirt. Healthy eyelashes frame your eyes and protect them from damage. Long eyelashes do not mean that they are healthy. They should be spaced out evenly and be more resilient against breakage.
Cause of Thinning Eyelashes
Many people notice that their eyelashes thin as they age. It can happen to men and women of all ages. To prevent thinning eyelashes, it is important to learn about the causes first. Here are the most common reasons for thinning eyelashes:
- When you pluck or pull on eyelashes, it can damage the hair follicles. Damaged hair follicles may take a long time to grow hair back. There might be cases that the follicles may not grow hair at all.
- Nutrient or vitamin deficiency can make your hair brittle and prone to breakage. Your eyelashes need nutrients to stay healthy and resilient against damage.
- Disorders such as alopecia cause hair loss. This affects hair all over the body including eyelashes.
- Chemotherapy is a form of treatment or medication that affects hair follicles, making hair fall out. Eyelashes might grow when chemotherapy is done.
- Using mascaras can cause clumps on eyelashes. Strands often get plucked when removing these clumps. Rubbing eyes can also cause falling eyelashes.
- Trauma or scarring on eyelids can cause falling eyelashes.
Hair loss is a common concern for men and women of all ages. You can control and prevent hair loss. Visit this page to learn tips on how to keep hair strong and healthy.
READ MORE: Hair Loss
Eyelashes in Cosmetics
Women like to have thick and full lashes. You can now use various cosmetic products for eyelashes. Other than trimming your eyelashes, you can enhance their appearance by using different tools and products. Curl them, define them, or give them a new shape – eyelashes can be groomed using these products.
Do at Home
You can use these products at home without professional help. Just make sure to follow instructions to apply or use them properly.
- Mascara – Mascara makes eyelashes look naturally thick and full. This product is made of dark pigments, preservatives, and thickeners. It holds the curve of lashes as well.
- Eyelash Curler – Eyelashes have natural curves. The curve of the lashes can enhance the appeal of the eyes. According to standards of beauty over the years, upward curve of lashes is more attractive. This is why many women use eyelash curlers. It helps spread out eyelashes evenly to make them look fuller. Various types of curlers are available in the market including heated curlers.
- Fake Eyelashes – Fake eyelashes are easy to use. These artificial lashes are made of various materials such as synthetic, silk, and mink. Synthetic materials are more durable while eyelashes made from mink last longer. You can use fake lashes more than once. However, if you are going to reuse it, do not wear mascara. Remember to clean it well to prevent dirt and bacteria from irritating your eyes. Instead of mascara, you can use oils like Argan oil to give fake lashes a thicker appearance. It moisturizes the lashes to make it soft and look natural. Argan oil gives you natural-looking thick eyelashes. Read on to find out the various benefits of using it for fake or natural eyelashes.
READ MORE: Argan Oil
Go to a Professional
Professional skills are required in using or applying these products. Visit a salon or an expert to use these eyelash products and accessories.
- Eyelash Perming – Perming eyelashes help give it a permanent curve where you do not need to use curlers. It uses a cream or a perming solution that reshapes hair to improve its curve. Some salons also add a kink to the tips of eyelashes to make it look thicker.
- Magnetic Eyelashes – If you want non-sticky and mess-free longer lashes, try magnetic eyelashes. This product comes with two layers of artificial hair strands placed below and on top of your eyelashes. Magnets stick these two layers together, creating a fuller and thicker volume of eyelashes.
- Eyelash Extensions – Eyelash extensions work just like normal hair extensions. They are durable and they stick to eyelids longer than other types of eyelash accessories. Eyelash extensions are applied to the edge of eyelids using an adhesive. They can last up to 6 to 8 weeks. However, it is also important to maintain the cleanliness of these fake lashes.
- Eyelash Transplants – Eyelash transplants are permanent solutions to the loss of eyelashes. Strands of hair used for the transplant come from the scalp. They continue to grow even when transplanted to eyelids. Trimming them once a week helps maintain the ideal length and curve of eyelashes. The amount of hair transplanted to eyelids can range from 25 to 50 depending on the preference of the user.
Products to Grow Healthy Eyelashes
If you are not too keen on the upkeep of eyelash cosmetics, you can try various ways to get naturally thick and healthy eyelashes. All you need are suitable products that can help promote healthy hair growth. These products may have nutrients that are necessary for hair growth. Here are some products you can use to get naturally thick eyelashes:
Eyelash Primer Growth Serums
Serums are fast-absorbing liquids that are very light. Their formulas contain essential fatty acids and other active ingredients that stimulate the growth of hair. Using serums provide moisture and nourishment to improve overall hair health. They strengthen and fortify eyelashes to prevent breakage or falling. Biotin, protein, vitamins, and other substances are good for preventing brittleness of eyelashes.
You can always make your own blend of oils that can work as serums or primers. Use ingredients such as natural butters or organic extracts. You can use these blends to make your eyelashes look thick and shiny. Since they provide nourishment to hair as well, regular use improves their resilience.
Essential oils that provide vitamin E and protein to eyelashes help prevent thinning volume. Oils such as castor oil are some of the widely-used products for eyelashes nowadays. Castor oil helps curb thinning eyelashes. It stimulates the follicles to grow longer and thicker lashes too. Since castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, it provides various therapeutic effects to stop falling eyelashes.
Castor oil is very cheap too, compared to other cosmetics used for eyelashes. Regular use brings noticeable results in a few weeks. See more benefits of using castor oil for eyelashes. Learn how to use it properly to get the lashes that you deserve.
READ MORE: Castor Oil
Tips on Taking Care of Eyelashes
Keep your eyelashes looking lush with these simple tips. With a few tricks, you can ditch mascaras and still have naturally bold eyelashes. Other than choosing the right products for eyelashes, here are some other tips you can try:
- Avoid Drying Mascaras– Some mascara contain chemicals that can dry and damage hair strands. They can also weaken the cuticle of your eyelashes. This lets moisture escape from the strands and make your eyelashes more prone to breakage. Due to this, you might notice thinning eyelashes. If you are using mascara often, check the ingredients. You can use primers or essential oils instead to make your eyelashes look great.
- Remove Eye Makeup– Remove eye makeup and cleanse face gentle before you sleep. This practice helps prevent damage to eyelashes. Makeup such as mascara and eyeshadow may contain chemicals that can weaken eyelashes. Eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliners, and eye putty, are artificial products that can damage hair if you don’t remove them properly.
- Cleanse Face and Eyes Gently – When you cleanse your face or eyes, make sure to do it gently. Rubbing your eyes roughly can pull out lashes. Treating eyelashes gently help prevent thinning volume.
Get long and thick eyelashes that do not break easily. If you don’t have the money and the time to always prep your lashes with mascara and curlers, achieve the eyelashes of your dreams with essential oils and serums. Oils moisturize eyelashes while keeping them lustrous. Check out this collection of various oils to use that can make your eyes pop!
READ MORE: Natural Oils