Worrying about fine lines and wrinkles will only stress you out. Your skin care routine should be simple and effortless, but effective. Want to look more radiant in just a few days? Use a potent serum for your face care routine!
Serum is a type of anti-aging product that helps improve your skin’s appearance. It is rich in active ingredients that can slow down skin aging or fade blemishes. Serums are made to target specific skin concerns. Learn all about serums and how they keep your skin young.
What is a Serum
Serums have fast-absorbent formulas that reach into the deeper layers of your skin. They help minimize the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and blemishes. These products help slow down skin aging too. Serums are applied to face and neck area. Since they have smaller molecular size compared to other products, they absorb into skin faster.
Serums have a high concentration of active ingredients. These active ingredients reach the deeper layers of your skin to improve it from within. This makes serums suitable for targeting skin concerns.
Most serums are made to address specific skin concerns. Serums help stimulate cell renewal to restore skin’s radiance and volume. There are serums that provide hydration to skin too. Some serums can also help brighten skin while fading blemishes and dark spots. The effects of a serum depend on the active ingredient it contains. However, serums are more commonly used to slow down skin aging.
Skin aging is a major skin concern because it causes fine lines and wrinkles. Find out what happens when your skin ages and the best anti-aging ingredients in the page below.
Differences Among Serum, Moisturizer, Oil, and Essence
People usually mistake serum for other face products like oil and essence. These face products are different in terms of formula and effects. Below, you’ll find out about the differences among serums, moisturizers, oils, and essences:
How Serum Improves Your Skin
By the time you reach your 30s, signs of skin aging will be more visible. Your skin becomes less radiant, less plump, and tired-looking. Build a proper skin care routine to maintain your skin's radiant appearance.
You can slow down skin aging and prevent skin concerns when you use suitable skin care products. Worried about wrinkles and fine lines? Use a serum. This product keeps your skin youthful while it targets skin concerns. Here are the various benefits of using serum.
Slows Down Skin Aging
Your skin ages as you grow old. Exposure to damaging factors like UV rays and pollution can speed up skin aging. However, the signs don’t show until you are well in your 30s. This is when your skin produces less collagen to maintain its elasticity and volume.
Skin aging affects skin's brightness and elasticity. Collagen production slows down as well. Collagen is a substance naturally found in your skin. It helps maintain skin elasticity and volume. Slow collagen product leaves your skin prone to wrinkles and fine lines. Serums deliver hydration to the deeper layers of your skin to prevent skin aging. They stimulate collagen production too, which keeps your skin firm and supple.
Reduces Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Wrinkles and fine lines are major signs of skin aging. They happen due to loss of skin volume and elasticity. Serums stimulate collagen production. They help restore your skin's elasticity to soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They promote collagen and elastin production, making your skin firmer and softer.
Restores Skin Radiance
Dull and tired skin happens due to lack of hydration. Your skin's natural protective barrier is most likely damaged too. Serums can make skin smoother while providing hydration to its deeper layers. They make your skin plump while giving it a youthful glow.
Promotes Skin Cell Renewal
Serums improve skin from within. It reaches the deeper layers to promote skin cell renewal. This helps skin gain volume, elasticity, and radiance. It also repairs skin so it looks fresher and brighter when you wake up.
Fades Blemishes and Dark Spots
Serums that contain vitamin C help stimulate skin cell renewal. These formulas give you an even skin tone. They can also fade blemishes and dark spots. There are other active ingredients that help with hyperpigmentation. They target discoloration caused by acne, pimples, and sun damage. Some serums have exfoliating and lightening properties, which give you an even skin tone. For more information about vitamin C serums and its benefits, visit the page below.
Active Ingredients in Serums
Serums have high concentration of active ingredients that improve skin. The effects and benefits of serums depend on their main ingredient. These key ingredients help repair your skin to make it softer and smoother. Discover how these ingredients help your skin:
- Retinol – Retinol is a vitamin-A derivative. It helps boost skin cell turnover, which gives your skin a bright and fresh look. Retinol stimulates collagen production as well to minimize fine lines and wrinkles. It also unclogs your pores to prevent acne while giving you a smoother skin texture.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C helps fade blemishes and dark spots. It prevents overproduction of melanin, which reduces hyperpigmentation. It soothes red, irritated skin and lessens dark circles. Vitamin C improves your skin's ability to retain moisture too.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic Acid or HA is known to hold water a thousand times its own weight. This property makes HA an effective moisturizer. It is also a humectant, which draws water from the atmosphere to keep skin moisturized for a long time.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids – Alpha Hydroxy Acids or AHA gives your skin a brighter and more radiant complexion. It works as an exfoliator that removes buildup of dead skin cells. AHA unclogs your pores as well to prevent acne and pimples. Another benefit of AHA is that it lightens your skin for an even skin tone.
- Vitamin E/Antioxidants – Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that slows down skin aging. It protects skin from damage as well. Vitamin E fights free radicals to maintain a bright and smooth skin.
- Peptides – Peptides are building blocks of skin, keeping it firm and elastic. It can stimulate collagen production when applied topically. Peptides can soften fine lines and wrinkles while making skin smoother.
- Botanical Extracts/Oils – Oils and botanical extracts can be used as main ingredients in serums. They are rich in various nutrients and have powerful therapeutic effects. Oils and extracts help heal skin from within. They make your skin glow from the inside, giving you a fresh appearance. Check out our collection of natural oils below and discover their benefits for your skin.
Types of Serums
Before you use serum on your skin, make sure that you are using a suitable formula. Consider various factors including your skin type and primary skin concern. Choose a suitable serum for your skin type to get great benefits. Find out which of these serums is best for you:
Brightening Face Serums
This type of face serum gives you a radiant even skin tone. A brightening serum contains ingredients like vitamin C to prevent hyperpigmentation. It reduces the appearance of dark spots and blemishes for a flawless look.
Anti-Aging Face Serums
Anti-aging face serums are chock full of antioxidants that prevent free radicals from damaging skin. They contain vitamin E, which is a potent antioxidant that helps slow down skin aging. Anti-aging face serums prevent sun damage to keep your skin looking young.
Rejuvenating Face Serums
Rejuvenating serums are often applied at night. They help repair your skin to give it a softer and smoother texture. This type of face serum has powerful healing effects that leave skin glowing. It promotes skin cell renewal, which helps reduce blemishes, fine lines, and other signs of skin aging.
Exfoliating Face Serums
If you have tired and dull skin, exfoliating serum is best for you. It removes buildup of dead skin cells, keeping your skin radiant and smooth. This serum unclogs your pores as well to prevent acne and pimple breakout.
Skin Firming Serums
Fine lines and wrinkles fade when you use skin firming serums regularly. This serum makes your skin produce more collagen and elastin to restore your skin's firmness. It helps fortify the natural barrier of your skin as well.
Hydrating Face Serums
Hydrating serum’s main job is to provide water content to the deeper layers of skin. A hydrating serum makes skin glow inside, giving it a fresh and youthful appearance. Hyaluronic Acid is the most popular hydrating serum. Visit the page below to find out why Hyaluronic Acid serum is the best choice for dull and dry skin.
How to Use Serums
There is a proper way to use serums. This rings true especially for products that are very concentrated. Make sure that the serum is not too potent for your skin type. Some serums can be used daily while others should only be used twice or thrice a week.
Active ingredients in serums can irritate skin if used often. Let your skin get used to the potency of the serum before you increase usage. Start with serums that have the smallest percentage of active ingredient. You can use the serum more often after your skin has adjusted.
Here are the steps to apply serum properly:
- Cleanse skin and apply toner before using serum.
- Use the dropper and put two to three drops of serum on the tips of your fingers. You can put serum directly on forehead and cheeks too.
- Use middle finger and ring finger to massage the serum on face in a circular motion. Do this in upward strokes to help lift skin.
- Massage serum on under eyes gently. Start from the inner corner of eyes going outwards. Repeat until serum is completely absorbed.
- Gently press down using palms all over face and neck.
- Wait for serum to absorb completely into skin. Apply moisturizer or sunscreen after.
Serums heal your skin from inside and out. Your skin will look less dull and tired. The best serum delivers active ingredients to where skin needs them most. Our professional skin care series features the best serums that effortlessly make your skin look younger. See how this set of high-quality face serums keeps skin supple and radiant.