Hair Loss Shampoo
Losing hair every day is normal. But a bunch of hair falling out might be a sign that you have hair loss. Hair loss is a common hair scalp condition, especially for men. However, it’s not a hopeless case. A suitable shampoo might be able to restore the length and volume of your hair. To prevent hair loss and regrow hair, you need to understand how hair loss happens.
There are millions of people who share the same concern as you. However, this won’t change the fact that hair loss is frustrating. Hair loss has physical and mental effects, and the latter is harder to battle. Losing hair affects your confidence and self-esteem. Many factors can cause hair loss including your genes, aging, stress, medication, and even hair products that you use.
Other than topical and oral medication, there are hair loss shampoos that help reduce the signs of this hair condition. Learn all about hair loss shampoos and how they help restore your hair to its former glory.
What is Hair Loss Shampoo
Hair loss shampoo helps restore hair and scalp health. This type of shampoo provides nutrients that unclog and repair hair follicles. One of the main reasons for hair loss is damaged follicles. When they get damaged, they might not be able to grow hair normally. Hair loss shampoos nurture your scalp to foster healthy hair growth.
Most prescribed shampoos are used for scalp conditions that cause hair loss. These conditions include alopecia and psoriasis. There are shampoos for male pattern baldness as well. Hair loss can be brought about by various factors such as health issues and using the wrong hair products.
Hair loss shampoos improve the state of your scalp to promote hair growth. You can get prescribed shampoos or over-the-counter products. The suitable shampoo for you depends on the cause of hair loss. This condition can be the effect of scalp conditions or health problems. You need to determine what makes you lose hair in order to find the best shampoo that will help grow your hair back. Most hair loss shampoos help treat and provide certain nutrients that can stimulate the scalp for hair growth. Learn more about hair growth by visiting the blog below.
How Shampoo Helps with Hair Loss
Other than cleansing your scalp, shampoos help provide nourishment to promote healthy hair growth too. Hair loss shampoos contain certain ingredients that stimulate the follicles to grow hair. Of course, not all hair loss shampoos regrow hair. Some can only prevent hair loss from getting worse while other types of shampoo can stimulate the scalp for hair growth. Hair loss is not a hopeless case. You can reverse it with the right shampoo. First, learn how hair loss happens and how shampoos help prevent it from happening.
How Hair Loss Happens
There are around 100,000 to 150,000 hair follicles in your scalp. However, only around 85% of these hair follicles are actively growing hair. It takes months before follicles in the resting phase start to grow hair. On average, you can lose 100 strands a day and around 250 strands when your hair is wet.
Losing hair means that your scalp needs to grow new ones. When your hair doesn’t grow as much as it loses, there will be a noticeable loss of volume. Your hair will become thinner and patches may even show on your scalp. Men are more likely to experience hair loss. By age 35, 40% of men have noticeable hair loss. The figure grows as men age. Hair loss affects only 50% of women.
Signs of Hair Loss
You can prevent hair loss from getting worse. The key is early detection of its symptoms. Here are some symptoms that you need to watch out for:
- Thin hair volume
- Excessive hair fall when brushing or washing hair
- Bald spots on scalp
- Sudden loss of patches of hair
- Receding hairline
- General thinning at the crown of your scalp
Causes of Hair Loss
Androgenic hair loss is the most common type of hair loss. It can affect men and women. However, there are other causes of hair loss. Learning about the reason behind hair loss helps a lot in determining the best way of treating it. Here are the factors that can trigger hair loss:
- Excessive Shampooing – Your hair and scalp have a natural barrier that protects them from damage. When you shampoo your hair often, it can damage the barrier and allow for moisture to escape. The loss of moisture can make the scalp dry as well, leaving the roots of hair weaker. Washing or styling hair will uproot these hair strands, leaving your tresses thinner.
- Over styling – Using products that can dry your hair such as gels and hairsprays leaves residues on the scalp. The buildup of these residues can clog follicles. Clogged hair follicles will have a hard time delivering nourishment to the hair shaft, leading to stunted hair growth. This can also stop the new hair follicle from coming to the surface of your scalp.
- Stress – Stress can trigger hair loss. Although temporary, this can affect the overall health of your scalp and hair. Alopecia areata is the most common scalp concern that is caused by stress. It is the condition where you lose clumps of hair in your scalp without any reason. In this case, your body’s immune system attacks the hair follicles, making them weaker, which leads to hair loss. Telogen effluvium is another scalp concern that happens when your body forces hair follicles to go in a resting phase, making hair fall out.
- Aging – Aging affects the health of hair follicles in your body, mainly follicles in your scalp. Women can experience thinning hair volume as early as 40s. As the level of hair growth stimulating hormones in your body drop, the follicles become thinner and hair starts to fall out.
- Vitamin Deficiency – Vitamin deficiency is one of the most common causes of hair loss. There are vitamins and minerals necessary to grow and form hair. Lack of these vitamins can lead to stunted hair growth or weak hair roots that can fall easily.
- Male Pattern Baldness – Male pattern baldness or female pattern hair loss is a common scalp concern that is often characterized by receding hairline or thinning hair at the crown of your scalp. Male pattern baldness can be due to genetics or a hormone called dihydrotestosterone. This hormone blocks nutrients from reaching the follicles, causing them to get thinner and damaged eventually.
- Hereditary – Hair loss can be hereditary as well. It is the result of genetics, your hormone levels, and the aging process that your body goes through. Some people can experience hair loss earlier than others can.
- Hormonal Changes – Hair loss is observed to be a common side effect of hormonal changes. This can happen to women who are pregnant or entering the menopausal period.
- Medications – There are medications that can cause hair loss. These medications can disrupt the normal growth cycle of your hair. Chemotherapy is a type of treatment that causes hair to fall out. You can experience hair loss by using hormonal medications, large doses of certain vitamins, inhibitors, and other types of medications that can interfere with hair growth.
- Health-related Issues – Many health-related issues affect the health of your hair and scalp. Anemia, iron-deficiency, and eating disorders can all cause hair loss. There are other types of health concerns that can affect the health of your scalp.
To treat hair loss efficiently, you need to understand how it happens. You can also prevent it from getting worse once you know the signs of hair loss. Find out how hair loss happens and learn some tips on how you can prevent it here.
READ MORE: Hair Loss
Treatments for Hair Loss
There are various ways to treat hair loss. There are natural remedies or medications that you can try. It is important to determine the root of hair loss in order to treat it accordingly. For example, if hair loss is caused by vitamin deficiency, all you need to do is to take supplements that provide enough vitamins to reverse hair loss. You can also add vitamin-rich food in your diet to get these nutrients necessary for hair growth. However, for certain cases, you might need to take medication or use suitable shampoos to battle hair loss. The following are some of the most common ways that you can do to treat hair loss.
When you choose a natural remedy for hair loss, you should remember that you are not introducing foreign chemicals to your body. This is a safe and healthy way to fight hair loss without causing other side effects. There are homemade hair masks or scrubs that you can easily make from ingredients found in your kitchen. Natural remedies also include lifestyle changes in order to stimulate the body to regulate hair growth.
Medications can be supplements that deliver enough vitamins your body is lacking in. There are also drugs that address the root of the problem. They can stimulate hair growth by introducing certain substances in your body. Medications are better treatments for hair loss caused by hormonal changes, stress, aging, vitamin deficiency, and health issues. You should always consult a doctor before buying and taking medications for hair loss.
Suitable Hair Products
Other than the food that you eat, hair products that you use provide nourishment to your hair and scalp too. For hair loss, you can use medicated hair products or oil-infused shampoos. Medicated hair products are prescribed by doctors. They help improve the state of your scalp in order to foster hair growth.
Shampoos that contain organic oils or extracts are highly nourishing. They provide therapeutic effects to soothe the scalp as well. If you are looking for products that help treat hair loss – your shampoo is a good place to start. A shampoo will cleanse your scalp to unclog the follicles, ensuring that hair receives nourishment from the scalp. It soothes inflammation as well, to prevent the thinning of hair follicles. A suitable shampoo will leave your hair stronger and more resilient against damage. This reduces the amount of hair that falls.
Ingredients You Need to Look For
Hair growth has a natural cycle that you can stimulate with certain ingredients. If you are looking for a hair loss shampoo, you should look for the following ingredients:
- Pygeum bark
- Stinging nettle root
- Emu oil
- Soy Isoflavones
- Green Tea Extract – Green tea extract is rich in antioxidants that prevent free radicals from damaging your hair and scalp. It contains epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG, an antioxidant that can promote hair growth. You can drink green tea or apply an extract directly to the scalp.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil soothes the scalp to prevent inflammation. It boosts blood circulation on the scalp as well. This helps nourish the follicles in order to stimulate them for hair growth.
- Saw Palmetto – Other than organic oils, saw palmetto is an ingredient commonly used in hair loss shampoos as well. An extract from saw palmetto berries can block DHT, which is a huge factor in hair loss. It can help your hair achieve its optimum growth as well.
- Argan Oil – Essential fatty acids are necessary for hair growth. They protect your hair and the follicles from damage. They are essential in forming hair too. Argan oil has a rich amount of essential fatty acids that will maintain the health and strength of your hair.
- Castor Oil – Castor oil has therapeutic properties such as antifungal and antibacterial effects that will remove any impurities that can cause hair loss in your scalp. It soothes inflammation as well to allow the follicles to receive nourishment. Castor oil is a DHT blocker as well that helps prevent hair loss. Check out this product to discover more uses and benefits of castor oil shampoo for your hair type.
READ MORE: Castor Oil Shampoo
How to Use Hair Loss Shampoo
Washing your hair removes the buildup of dead skin cells, oil, and dirt on your scalp. This is an important part of hair care routines. Removing these impurities allows the nourishment from shampoos and conditioner to reach the follicles and hair shaft. You should start using hair loss products once you notice its signs. Receding hairline, patches on the scalp, and thinning hair volume are red flags you need to address.
Regular hair loss shampoos can be applied just like normal shampoos. However, for medicated shampoos, you need to practice caution. They may be potent enough to cause side effects when not used properly. Make sure to read the label of hair products and follow the proper methods of application. Here are the general steps in applying regular hair loss shampoos:
- Wet your hair and scalp using lukewarm water. Avoid using warm or hot water to prevent the hair from getting too dry.
- Take enough shampoo and apply to entire scalp. Massage the shampoo to your scalp for 1-2 minutes. Work your way from the roots of your hair to the tips.
- Leave it on for another 3-5 minutes to allow the nutrients to absorb into scalp. This will help activate ingredients that fight hair loss. Make sure to rinse them away once the recommended time is up.
- Rinse hair using lukewarm or cold water. Use a hair loss conditioner after to fortify your hair.
Hair loss shampoos improve the state of your scalp so it can grow healthy and beautiful hair. Using these shampoos might not show immediate results. However, it is important to use them regularly in order to get maximum benefits. You should pay close attention to your hair type too. Make sure that the shampoo you are using is suitable for your hair type.
The fight against hair loss does not end here. You can maintain healthy hair growth by using the best hair growth shampoos that will improve the resilience of your hair against damage. Hair growth shampoos make your hair stronger, shinier, and thicker. Your hair deserves the best shampoo that will nourish it from roots to tips. Try these high-quality shampoos to achieve your hair goals.
READ MORE: Shampoos