Shaving might get rid of the unwanted hair but it can give you razor burns and irritated skin. Having red and bumpy skin is a sign that you’re not doing it right. Shaving is the art of getting smooth and hairless skin that is free from bumps, rashes, or redness. Don’t let bumps get in your way – whip up the perfect aftershave that gives you soft and smooth skin.
With summer just around the corner, having hairy legs or unruly beards is unacceptable. With the best aftershave, you can get a hair-free skin that feels silky smooth. No need to look far – try these two easy recipes for an aftershave that will save you from rashes and burns.
How Razor Burns and Rashes Happen
Shaving requires time and tenderness. Rushing causes burns and rashes. When you shave your skin, you are damaging the surface. You are using blades to cut hair strands from the roots. It scrapes the outermost layer of skin, causing irritation. You can mellow it out by using shaving cream. However, it does not soften the abrasion caused by the blades.
The ugly side effects of shaving are often caused by being too harsh when shaving. When you rush into getting rid of the hair, it makes you use greater pressure, which scrapes against the surface of the skin. When you shave the hair just above the surface of the skin, the strand coils into itself and grow inwards. Ingrown hair causes inflammation that can be very painful.
When you don’t apply an aftershave or a moisturizer after, the skin can break out or get infected. Moisturizing oils or aftershaves do the trick in keeping the skin soft and free from blemishes. Some store-bought aftershave contains chemicals that might be more harmful to skin. Instead of buying expensive aftershave, you can make your own aftershave at home!
Soothing Aftershave for Women
- 1 tablespoon distilled water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons witch hazel
- 2 drops ylang-ylang oil
- 2 drops bergamot oil
- 5 drops rose essential oil
- Prepare the materials you need such as clean mixing bowl, whisk, and clean spray bottles.
- Mix aloe vera gel, distilled water, and witch hazel in a small bowl.
- Whisk until it has a smooth consistency.
- Add the vegetable glycerin and favorite oils with rose essential oil. Whisk until well-incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the spray bottle.
- Shake well before applying to skin.
- After shaving, pat the area dry with a face towel. Don’t apply the aftershave right after washing the shaving cream off the skin.
- Spray the mixture to hands and rub palms together. Do not spray directly to skin.
- Pat the aftershave into skin and spread gently.
- Allow the mixture to be absorbed before using a moisturizer.
Why It’s Good for You
This aftershave moisturizes the skin greatly. It soothes the skin to prevent irritation and makes it softer to the touch. Aloe vera is highly moisturizing. This extract replenishes the moisture to skin to prevent dryness. Since women have more sensitive skin than men, a soothing aftershave works best for you. Vegetable glycerin seals the moisture on top of the skin to prevent moisture from escaping.
Rose essential oil blends well with ylang-ylang oil and bergamot oil. It gives the aftershave a nice scent, perfect for women. The rose essential oil provides antibacterial and astringent properties as well. They minimize hair follicles and tighten the skin while preventing ingrown hair. Witch hazel is another astringent that has therapeutic properties for skin. It seals in the moisture to skin and alleviates any inflammation of hair follicles.
Woodsy Aftershave Balm
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera
- 2 tablespoons raw shea butter
- 5 tablespoons argan oil
- 4 drops sandalwood oil
- 4 drops pine oil
- Fill a small pot filled with water and put on a medium heat stove. Place a bowl on top of the pot, large enough to cover the opening.
- Melt the beeswax and shea butter in the bowl until it has a smooth consistency.
- Remove from heat and add the aloe vera and argan oil. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a clean container with an airtight lid.
- Place in the fridge until the mixture gets solid.
- Remove after a few hours and whisk with a hand-mixer. Add essential oils during the process and store in a cool place when done.
- Pat the skin dry with a gentle towel. Let the skin rest for a few minutes.
- Use a small amount of the balm and apply directly to the shaved area. Spread until whole are is covered.
- Let dry and you are done! There’s no need to apply a moisturizer.
Why It’s Good for You
Like any balm, this creamy aftershave soothes the skin and any inflammation that might be caused by shaving. Beeswax and shea butter are natural moisturizers that seal in the water to the deeper layers of the skin. It makes your skin softer and tougher against dryness. Aloe vera has soothing properties that provide added moisture as well.
Argan oil is a deep moisturizing ingredient that is light on the skin. It provides essential fatty acids and vitamins that improve skin health. Argan oil’s known as an anti-aging oil too. It is rich in antioxidants that help reverse the signs of skin damage. Coupled with the soothing effects of natural butter, and you’ll never feel your skin as smooth after you apply the aftershave balm. The sandalwood and pine oil are perfect for creating the woodsy scent that will attract women towards you.
These homemade aftershaves are affordable and easy to make. Shaving is definitely a safe alternative to waxing, which can damage the follicles. You just need the right aftershave to protect your skin from bumps, burns, and rashes. Feel a softer skin and smell better after. Don’t fear the razor. Get rid of the fuzz with the buzz.